Thursday, December 20, 2007

TO THE DOCTOR WE DID GO

Today is one of those days when I have thoughts swirling in my head and I can't seem to organize them. I will ramble on and hopefully some of it will make sense.

The gremlins and I all had doctors appointments today. Since our doctors are an hour away in our old hometown , I try to organize it so we can do it all at once (which is often tricky because the offices are on opposite ends of the city).

First up today was me...good news was that my blood sugars overall are much better and are somewhat controlled... bad news is that my chlorestorol is still bad and I have to start some new meds to help control it ( grrrrrrrr more pills)...also the doctor still feels like I am high risk for heart attack so yet another flipping pill...bluckkkkkkkk......

I was glad that this appointment rolled around because I have been fighting off a cold for 2 weeks now...turns out I have a sinus infection...hellooooooooo antibiotics..lol.

With many prescriptions in hand, off we went to the gremlins' pediatrician. It was supposed to be a normal quickie check to get refills for their meds (for their ADHD). Gremlin #2 was fine...he has put on some weight and is tall for his age...glad he is growing up instead of "out".

Then comes gremlin #1...I worry about this girl. She is 15...almost 5'4" and only weighs 97 lbs. This isn't anorexic or anything, but because of her age and the meds she is on, the doctor is concerned. We are going tomorrow for some blood work because the doc is worried that she might be anemic and might also have thyroid disease (which my twin and I BOTH have...along with other family members). Of course, neither of these conditions are fatal...but they aren't "nothing" either and as the momma bear it IS my job to worry...that is why I get the big bucks after all..lol.

Gremlin#1 has also had to deal with some very adult issues over the last few days. After we moved, she lost touch with almost all of her friends except one special friend M. They have managed to keep in touch and I have tried to encourage this because I truly like M, and I can tell how much they love each other....it fills my heart with joy whenever they get to spend some time together.

On the weekend, M emailed gremlin to let her know that a friend of hers had been in a serious car accident and was not doing well. M tried to call gremlin but we weren't home. She was crying on the message and it just broke my heart. I tried my best to reassure gremlin that M's friend would be fine...and that we would pray for her.

Monday morning gremlin got another email from M. It seems the friend , who was just 16, had slipped into a coma, had a massive stroke and died. M is beside herself with grief and of course, gremlin feels totally helpless. This is really the first time gremlin has had to see death in someone so close to her own age and it has unnerved her, as well as me.

Again, this has made the "momma bear" in me kick in. I am so very proud of gremlin for the compassion and love she shows M...but like every momma, this tragedy makes me wanna grab ahold of my gremlins and never let them go...I can't even imagine baring such an unbelievable loss.....

On a side note, our f*cking van has decided to be a moron this week. A few days ago, the windshield wipers stopped working and of course, with all the bad winter weather we couldn't let it go. I had hoped it would be something small..and it was...some small chip board thingy...$250 later it was fixed..and all I could say was fuckkkkkkkkkkk....of course, we aren't ready for christmas and are totally 'robbing paul to pay peter' so this expense didn't help at all...

I thought I should warn the gremlins ahead of time that there won't be alot under the tree. We have never been able to go hog wild anyway, but I still felt bad. As soon as gremlin #1 got home from school, I told her what had happened and promptly started to cry...her response (and I quote)

" It's okay Mom, Christmas is supposed to be about giving, not receiving anyway."

When gremlin #2 got home, he said the same thing, almost word for word.....

It surely does make a momma bear proud to have such fine youngins.....

As always, to be continued...................

13 comments:

Burfica said...

awwww Your gremlins are growing up to be awesome young adults. You should be so proud!!!

I told eveyrone it was a small one this year too. It seems like I have alot to wrap, but I wrap every stinking little thing and make them open it.. Hell I used to wrap batteries seperatly and put them in the stockings. lol

That way it seemed like tons of stuff, but it really isn't.

Hey what happened with the e-mail to the teacher???

Phoenix5 said...

See? Your gremlins keep proving us right! You ARE a wonderful Mom! You've raised some fine young ones there! Bad choices and bad circumstances be damned! Way to go, my friend!

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of that young girl. It always saddens me to hear such news. Having two girls of my own makes it hit reaaly hard and close to home. I'm glad your daughter is there for her friend, even if it is only by phone. I'll be praying that she receives the strength to really help M.

the planet of janet said...

you should be proud of them. very proud.

as for the rest of it, hang in there, kiddo.

Marni said...

If I'm proud of you kiddos, I can only imagine how proud you are. Good job, Mom!

Hugs to you all and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Anonymous said...

You really have some great gremlins....

Unknown said...

wow that's some serious stuff your kid is having to deal with. i hope she's doing well. it sounds like you have some great kids. :)

Alekx said...

Who is peter and who is paul

does peter know you are pulling his...I mean robbing him....and is paul your pimp or something that is demanding you pay him.

Burfica said...

You can tell Alekx needs sleep.

jAMiE said...

You have some great kids...i am glad they were able to comfort you!

Rick Rockhill said...

don't know how you do it...juggling all that.

I have the cholesterol issue too...I'm not having much luck controlling it with my diet...

none said...

I hear you on the doctor crap. Mine is doing the exact same shit to me..grrrr

Glad the kids are doing ok. I've got the same exact issues here as well..spooky huh?

I'm so sorry about your friend :(

I hope you and yours have a good Christmas..sounds like the kids have the right idea :)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

captain corky said...

Wow, that's a lot for a young girl to go through. Shit, that's a lot for anyone to go through.