Sunday, August 5, 2007

MY FIRST SOAP OPERA SUNDAY


Welcome all to my first attempt at Soap Opera sunday. This is a weekly event that happens at twas brillig's blog and she and her blog buddy Kate have invited their readers to join along. I thought this sounded like fun....I have LIVED for brillig's SOS (Soap opera sunday)...her stories are great and Chad sounded like a dream boat...


Anyway, I have given a lot of thought to what I wanted to write about on my first SOS...and of course I thought..the place to start is at the beginning...


My first true love was a older boy that I will call Bill(names will be changed to protect the innocent..lmao). I was 14 years old and just starting to realize that boys don't have cooties when I met Bill. He was a year older than me and the minute I saw him ,I was in love. He was a drummer and I met him when I joined the school band...He was very dreamy in that rocker-wanna-be way.


I. of course, being 14, awkward and ugly didn't have the courage to even say hello to him....but I worshipped him from afar...


I know what you are thinking...puppy love isn't the same...but I still remember feeling how wonderful it felt to FEEL love for the first time...other than of course the love I felt for David and Shawn Cassidy..I was 14 after all...but I digress..lol.


Anyway, one friday we were having a school dance. It was the first year that I had been old enough to attend such functions, but luckily I was well prepared after many hours in the summer singing along to 45's of the Bay City Rollers and dancing quite professionally (or so we thought at the time).


Well we were all very excited to go to the dance...it was the talk of the school all day...When I arrived, the music was blaring and the lights were dimmed in the school gym...I was so nervous and uncomfortable that I almost backed out...but my sister was there and our friends, so we went in together...


After awhile, I settled down and the girls started to all dance together in a group...since dancing with boys was still foreign to us all...


The first slow song came on...as I stood there waiting for it to end, I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Bill standing there. As I struggled to breathe, he asked if I wanted to dance. I couldn't even speak so I just nodded . He took my hand and let me out on to the dance floor. I was so nervous I couldn't stop shaking...but at the same time I was so excited I don't think my feet were touching the floor.....


You see, I am a twin...and she was always the pretty one...the thin one...the popular one...and everyone just let me tag along because we were twins and inseparable at that time in our lives. This was the first time in my life that a boy chose me...that someone in my life actually made me feel special, even if it was for only one dance.


That moment is as fresh in my mind as if it was

yesterday...muskrat love was playing...and as we swayed back and forth I wanted that song to last forever...I knew that this was the best feeling in the world and I just wanted to freeze that moment in time...


Like all good things, the song ended and Bill wondered off to find his friends... I watched him closely until the end of the night. He was sure to keep his distance but it made me really happy to see that he didn't dance again....I was the only girl he danced with . He reappeared again at the end of the night and we slow danced to Stairway to Heaven. This dance was even more enjoyable because I was able to cherish it a bit more, knowing that I was THE one that he chose to dance with that evening and no other.


After the song ended and the lights came on, Bill asked if I was walking home. I was, so he offered to walk me part of the way. We were all walking in a group, so that took the pressure off and it was a nice walk home. As we got to the corner of my street, I knew it was time for him to head home as it was getting late. For once in her life, my sister showed amazing tact and walked ahead to leave us alone for a moment.


It was at this moment that I started to get nervous again...I didn't know what to expect. As we stood there, with the moon and stars overhead, I just gazed into his eyes not knowing what to say. He was silent too..it wasn't until I was much older that it dawned on me that he too must have been nervous...after all he WAS 15..lmao. He just sorta said "well ok see ya.." and off he went...


As I stood there watching him go, I knew I had been given a special gift that night...the feeling of opportunity and possibility...the belief that maybe someday I wouldn't just be the ugly, fat twin that was tolerated because someone liked my sister.


I knew that my life had been changed that night in a way I couldn't describe. As I went home and crawled into bed, I stared out the window at the moon and the stars...I wondered...would this be the last I would see of Bill? Or would our paths meet again...other than in band practise...Either way, I knew I would never look at him the same way again...


As always, to be continued.................

16 comments:

MomThatsNuts said...

Never heard of soap opera sunday but think I would like it! Im gonna go read at the other sites you listed. I liked your story, very typical for that age I think...Thanks for sharing with us!! Chin up there girly, things will get better (please remember this is coming from the unstable drugged mind of a crazy woman...)

Mom

Kateastrophe said...

I love this story! And I love that you're participating in Soap Opera Sunday! It's going to be so fun!!

Biddie said...

I really have no idea how this SOS works, but I loved your tale of 1st love. It brought back so many wonderful memories of my own...There really is nothing like 1st love, is there?

Unknown said...

This SOS needs cheesy dramatic music. Maybe you should get a widget for that.

And I will eagerly await the next post. Does he turn out to be an alien? Are you caught by the principal, given Saturday detention with three other people where you discover your true selves, take drugs and listen to bad 80s music?

Dedee said...

Can't wait. My SOS starts in Ninths Grade too.

Can't wait for next week!

none said...

Very nice! I was always too nervous as well. I wish things were like you describe in this day and age

soccer mom in denial said...

Yeah! Your SOS has inspired me to write a future post about my first dance.

And I'm the mom of seven-year-old twin boys. I worry about one of them feeling how you did. I'll have to poke around and see what else you've written about your sister.

Looking forward to reading more!

captain corky said...

Very nice. Can't wait till next week! Wait... Do we have to wait till next week?

Fourier Analyst said...

YAY SOS!! Kinda hard to wait 'til next week. I already have my next entry half written! But I can't wait to read how things work out for all of the writers! Ain't it fun?!

Brillig said...

Yay for SOS! I love this story. I know that there are so many wonderful things about being a twin, so I hear, but what you've described would have been so incredibly hard for me. I'm sure you weren't fat OR ugly, but there was always someone that you were being compared to.

And ahhh, first love. I can't wait for more!

And thanks for participating in our first SOS! This was WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

You had me on the edge of my seat. I've never been interested in romance novels or soap operas but maybe you've changed my mind. Great little story and very well written.

jAMiE said...

Awww, that was lovely...looking forward to next week.

Burfica said...

So.....


Man I have just backspaced over 5 snarky comments. I can't believe I'm saying this. But I'm gonna be good, and nice this time.

Nice story, I felt alot of the way you did back in school.

Dawn said...

I came from twas brillig. Great first SOS. I guess I will have to come back next week, to find out "the rest of the story".

Canadian flake said...

mom- thanks for the kind words. I am glad you liked my first attempt at SOS.


kate - welcome ...glad ya liked my first SOS...I loveeeeee brillig's every sunday and I think this "global" idea is a great one.

biddie - SOS is pretty cool and yes I agree first love is pretty special. More to come on "Bill".

DD - "Does he turn out to be an alien?" aren't ALL males aliens?? LMAO..

dedee - I will pop over and check yours out soon.

hammer - I agree completely...things are so much more complicated these days...and unsafe for kids.

soccer mom- thanks for stopping in. Hope you pop in again soon.

Canadian flake said...

corky - yup ya gotta wait til next Sunday. glad I got ya hooked..lol.

fourier - I agree..SOS is a blast.

brillig - you ROCK!!! This SOS idea is a great one and I am lovin it...wtg!!

babzy - thanks for the nice words...glad you liked it.

jamie - glad you liked it..thanks hon.

burfica - thanks for holding back the snark. This was a nice memory for me and I would have had to smack ya around a bit..lmao.

dawn - thanks for stopping in. Hope you stop by again.